Whole House Surge Protection
Protection for all Electrical Circuits
Protects Kitchen Appliances
Protection for AC Compressors
Whole House Surge Protection offers homeowners protection against damaging surge currents throughout the electrical circuitry of homes and buildings.
Many homeowners already use a Surge Protective Device (SPD) on computers, laptops, printers, and other devices. These SPDs are intended to protect specific devices.
Studies by the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEEE) indicate power line disturbances occur about four times a day throughout the USA. Power line disturbances can result from nearby lightning strikes, power outages from any means including power poles hit during an auto accident. Transient voltage spikes can also result from electric motor starting and the use of compressors, fluorescent lights, or voltage fluctuations from the utility company.
A Surge Suppressor could also be called a “Surge Diverter”. The suppressor attempts to limit or block excessive voltage to electronic devices and appliances. So, a $79 surge suppressor can save thousands in replacement costs for A/C compressors, refrigerators, freezers, and home theatres.
Surge Protection does not protect against direct lightning strikes. Lightning strikes can cause fires and affect life safety. For more information on Lightning Protection Systems, click here.
Here are the major components of an effective Whole House Surge Protection System:
- AC Power Protection - This is the main component which protects the Main Breaker Panel and all connected circuits with protection against surges up to 140,000 amps. Most other SPDs are considered downline protective devices except for telephone, data, and cable.
- Alarm Panel Protection
- AC Power Strip and Wall-Mount SPDs offer downline protection for computers, refrigerators, freezers, TVs and other sensitive electronics.
- Air Conditioning Compressors
- CATV Protection
- Gate Operators
- Network and Router Protection
- Video Surveillance Protection
- Voice, Data, and Signaling Protection
Benchmark Electric can install a surge suppressor for each Main Breaker Panel, plus downline protection for A/Cs and other major appliances. These services require an electrician to install.
Optional protection for telephone, cable, and Internet is available. Homeowners are encouraged to consider additional downline SPDs for computers and other electronic devices. These simple, plug-in devices can be installed by you or us in just a few minutes time.
Call us today for more information or a free estimate on installing whole house surge protection for your home or business.